About Me

My photo
Based in Northampton, UK, I live with my husband Adam, our Cocker Spaniel Bruno and Deeley the Bengal cat. I work full time as a Creative Artist / 3D Designer and part-time with my creative endeavours. I hope you'll enjoy reading about my work and other random ramblings, from the satisfying successes to the catastrophic failures! Still, it's all good fun, which is kind of the whole point really...

Monday 22 September 2008

Distractions!

It's the Autumn equinox - that's it, Summer's offically over (did you see it?)! The fresher weather certainly brings with it new energy and an urge to speed progress up on projects, perhaps due to the dwindling evening light and more limited hobby opportunities. Time to get moving on those ongoing projects...but...
.
I'm just SOOOO easily distracted! Recently I bought some pens; Faber Castel Pitt Pens to be precise. I bought a pack of 4 black (superfine, fine, medium, broad), 4 Sepia (dark brown), 4 Sanguine (orangy brown) and a set of shades of grey (all broad, brush-tipped). Around this time I had also discovered an old sketch book from my school days which reignited my passion for two-dimensional creativity. Here's a couple of examples from back then (please bear in mind I was still at school then);
Sea-horse - Rotring technical drawing pens and Winsor and Newton Inks

Big Lizard - Tattoo design (unfinished)

New Year horses - a lesson in Perspective (NOT Anatomy, hehe! Cool manes though!)

Abstract horse - I always wanted to reproduce this on a BIG canvas, using glow-in-the-dark paints on a black/dark blue background. One day...

With my inspiration burning away I got to sketching and found a photo I'd taken of a horse that I pass daily on my commute to work. The horse is one of a group of three, one old-boy gray draft mix, a regular horse, and this one who appears to be a Clydesdale cross, I'd taken a few snaps months ago but when I came across the photo I thought my new pens were just the right range of colours, so got drawing and this is the result.
I have to admit; although it's a bit cartoon-ish, I was quite pleased with the result! I loved using the pens so much I took the plunge and bought a full set of 48 Pitt pens (a bit of a luxury I admit - all brush-tipped). Please excuse the dodgy pic, it was taken at work!
I had a dig about online for other Clydesdale type horses and came across a photo that I turned into this drawing; I can't find the photo again now, if I find it or am informed I'll happily credit the owner. I added the grass as on the photo the horse stood on a more dusty ground:
This drawing is to be donated to The International Blessed Broodmare Project (TIBBP), please contact myself or Janice Williford (email me for contact info) if you'd like more information on it. It is drawn on A5 smooth paper, and will possibly be framed.

I have to admit that my enthusiasm for drawing has wildly overtaken my energy for sculpture. But, I am definitely a slave to the phase, and will no-doubt be heading back there soon!

No comments: