About Me

My photo
Based in Northampton, UK, I live with my husband Adam, our Cocker Spaniel Bruno and Deeley the Bengal cat. I work full time as a Creative Artist / 3D Designer and part-time with my creative endeavours. I hope you'll enjoy reading about my work and other random ramblings, from the satisfying successes to the catastrophic failures! Still, it's all good fun, which is kind of the whole point really...

Thursday 29 September 2011

New Resin! The Babysitter

Well I have SOOOOO much to tell you about, I’ve been quite busy over the last few months with several projects and here is one of them.  Meet The Babysitter, a mini scale* race fit Thoroughbred mare or filly.

*mini scale – The Babysitter is much larger than a Mini Nahar, but slightly smaller in scale to Dinky Duke, she is on a par with many of Donna Chaney’s “mini” scale models, so I am classing her as a mini.

Deb Brown La

Final Prep, Finishwork and photos by Deb Brown

Deb Brown Ea

Seal Bay colour expertly recommended by my Facebook Friends

Deb Brown Ka

I put together a little movie of her too, I’m not sure how this will display on the emails or the blog, but it is hosted on YouTube (user name 3DSavage) if it doesn’t show here.

Photos show prototype model prior to casting, and painted copy of the model, cast by Horsing Around and finished by Deb Brown. Photo of finished model courtesy of Deb Brown.

The Babysitter actually started out as a broodmare – I wanted to make a “Mom” for all the Very Little One models I’ve cast so set to work on a thoroughbred broodmare (VLO was quite generic but is often shown as a thoroughbred or sport type).  After starting, I thought it would be good to actually sculpt a race-fit thoroughbred, as I noticed a distinct lack of this breed in the smaller scales at the Live Shows I attended.  So with this, The Babysitter was born.  The broodmare version will follow on in a few months’ time – it will not be simply a fatter version, I will rework it and reposition the head, neck, possible a leg or two, change the mane and tail, face details and of course, add the bits necessary for taking care of a foal!  I’m quite excited about this model, it’s one of those that I know is there just waiting to be created.

The Babysitter (named as she is “acting Mom” to all the VLO models, until the Broodmare comes along) is modelled on a young Thoroughbred or Thoroughbred cross, she could pass as a filly or a mare.  I tried very hard to make her solid, after witnessing some awful sights whilst researching the breed I made sure that this filly is race-ready but proportioned correctly and built solidly enough that, should she be a real horse, she would stand the tests that the racetrack throws at young horses and thrive in her role.  This build also makes her a good prospect as a steeplechaser or hunter and I would love to see a scene with her tacked up in English finery and surrounded by hounds (mental note to self – might do that!).

Details on The Babysitter can be found on her page on my website here: The Babysitter Web Page

Sales information can be found here: Purchasing Information

I hope you like my first venture into “legs and all” resins, I can’t wait to see the finished copies popping up – don’t forget to send my photos if you paint yours, they’ll be added to the galleries on my website!

No comments: