About Me

My photo
Based in Northampton, UK, I live with my husband Adam, our Cocker Spaniel Bruno and Deeley the Bengal cat. I work full time as a Creative Artist / 3D Designer and part-time with my creative endeavours. I hope you'll enjoy reading about my work and other random ramblings, from the satisfying successes to the catastrophic failures! Still, it's all good fun, which is kind of the whole point really...

Wednesday 6 February 2013

Seeing out 2012

The final thing I did in November was not hobby related in the slightest.  As you know, I married Adam last May.  We had a “mini-moon” in Sherwood Forest with Bruno;

DSC06389

But we also planned to have a “big” honeymoon nearer Christmas.  So, for the last week in November we were enjoying the sights, sounds and delights of New York City!  It was a holiday I’ll never forget and such a contrast to our suburban quiet life here in central England.

DSC09428

In recent years I’ve started seeing a pattern in the way I work.  I tend to work hardest around August, usually burning out around October and then I rest until the New Year.  So, given that 2012 had also panned out this way I decided that starting with the honeymoon I would close my doors to model “business” and just do what took my fancy over December.

Starting with this little guy.  This is “Chasing Dreams”, a model I bought a few years ago and a regular feature of my show string.  Sadly I had a wobble when arranging my shelves and his eartip got damaged, so I had him on my to-do list for quite a while.

IMG_2267

I repaired his ear (very proud of myself!) but then I got thinking – his base had also been damaged in the accident, he never sat very well on it so I thought I’d give him a new one!  Enter…the Dremel!

I made the new base using an Acrylic paperweight drill to take the acrylic rod.  I have a small selection of diorama bits and pieces and added some greenery around the base of the rod.

DSC00089aDSC00093a

I’m very pleased with how he turned out and look forward to showing him again.  I am not quite done with him yet, I noticed he doesn’t have any skin mottling that would normally be found on appaloosas so I plan to add some next time I get to painting.

I was starting to see photos here and there of the first Union Jack models to be painted up since the Hullabaloo, including this handsome chappy finished by Jana H of “Dreamland Creations” – here’s her Facebook Page

IMG_5697

Below is a photo of a Union Jack that I received for my own collection – painted by Mindy Berg of Spruce Mountain Studio. Mindy painted him to my colour choice and did a fantastic job!

DSC00073

As Christmas approached I received some very sad news.  My good friend, Beccy, keeps greyhounds.  She has had a number of these gentle dogs over the years, many of them ex-racing dogs and I was saddened to hear that Zac, one of the three currently living with her had suddenly passed away.

IMG_8658

Beccy is a rare breed of dog-keeper.  She takes on the dogs that have little hope of finding their forever home.  The black dogs, older dogs and dogs with issues that only a seasoned greyhound keeper can work them through.  Zac was a lovely, sweet, gentle dog that asked little in life – just a warm bed, food in his belly and the occasional romp about with his toys.  His passing was sudden and unexpected.

I wanted to do something for Beccy, I knew I couldn’t take away her sadness so I decided to celebrate Zac’s life the best way I know how to – with a portrait.

zDSC00244a

Christmas came and Adam, Bruno and I heading to the parents’ and in-laws’ to celebrate with our families.  I was given a great new gadget by my brother; a fish-eye lens for my iPhone!  I’ve not got to grips with it just yet but I couldn’t help trying to get eye-to-eye with my smallest resin.  This little lady is called Wee Lassy and as far as I’m aware, is the smallest resin horse in the hobby!

IMG_6021

As 2012 included such a major event in my life with the wedding, even thought I was as productive as I could be I am looking forward to doing much more in 2013.  I am working to my New Year’s Resolution of simplifying where possible and have mapped out a schedule of work that will see up to a baker’s dozen of new models coming out this year.  Some are revisited models such as the final “Pickle V3” minibust that I am planning and some are brand new sculpts such as the medallion pair I am hoping to reveal in the next few weeks.  The first new offering for 2013 is Union Jack in china, which admittedly hasn’t required quite so much work from me as his resin big brother, but I’m on track nonetheless!

No comments: