About Me

My photo
Based in Northampton, UK, I live with my husband Adam, our Cocker Spaniel Bruno and Deeley the Bengal cat. I work full time as a Creative Artist / 3D Designer and part-time with my creative endeavours. I hope you'll enjoy reading about my work and other random ramblings, from the satisfying successes to the catastrophic failures! Still, it's all good fun, which is kind of the whole point really...

Wednesday 7 January 2015

2014 Part Three - Clinkies!

2014 saw a wonderful selection of new china models that originated in my studio.  None of them were produced by me - china casting and glazing is definitely a job for the experts!

First up - the Union Jack china edition is still in production, the edition is approaching it's finale but there are still more to come yet!  This year we saw a lovely selection of new colours:






I fell in love with this little guy and decided to keep him.  He is called Rorschach Inkspot :)

The following two are the most recent to be glazed, the tobiano is available (I really must advertise him!) and the appaloosa is not yet available but may come available soon.  


This next copy is rather special.  This is the first BONE CHINA copy made (apart form one Unicorn which I own) and is now living with his new owner in Europe.  I am completely thrilled with how this model came out and am hoping to commission another bone china copy or two in the remaining edition copies.

Union Jack received a new mini-edition in 2014.  After casting my own special bone china Unicorn during a visit to Animal Artistry I decided to order a group of one-of-a-kind Unicorns, with each having a different colour horn (and hooves as an option).  I ordered five white unicorns with gold, silver, natural, pearl or purple pearl features.


But five was not enough!  They sold out immediately and people ere upset as I'd not given them the opportunity to have a Unicorn.  It was my bad, but how to fix it?  I asked each buyer of a white unicorn if they would mind if I had five black unicorns made, and so everyone got a copy!  Well, even now I hear people who are cross as they've missed out, but I am hoping that 2015 will bring another fantasy version of the model which will make everyone happy :)


These are the copies glazed so far (I just discovered I've not put these photos together anywhere yet!):

White (satin) Natural

White (glossy) Pearl

White (satin) Silver

White (glossy) Gold

White (glossy) Purple Pearl is to be glazed shortly

Black (glossy) silver

Black (shiny satin) Natural

Black (shiny satin) Purple Pearl

Black (glossy) Gold

No more black copies will be glazed as the fifth copy was taken as a bisque.

So that's where we've got to with Union Jack in 2014, but more developments for him are coming in 2015!

In 2014 I saw the birth of a new foal, so to speak.  A birth of fire though, as Dancing Daisy leapt out of the Animal Artistry kilns into her own clinky edition!


However, problems with the technicalities of kiln-firing and glazing earthenware (stuff that scares the heck out of me!) meant that these first two gorgeous girlies won't be part of the public edition (one lives with me and one with one of my bestest buddies, they won't be sold).  Daisy, in theory, should not be a china model.  She's all wrong - top heavy, long-legged, dainty - it's a triumph that Donna and her team have made her work and these small teething issues are of no big consequence as AA have solved the problem now.

The edition will be mixed, there will be bone china AND earthenware copies cast and it is likely she will be a single mould edition, however I have fantasy plans for her too, if I can make them viable so she may sneak into a second mould.

So, the first commercially available copy was glazed in late 2014 and my goodness, didn't Donna's team do an incredible job!


I can't wait to see future copies of this model!  I am thinking spots, spot and more spots, so a larger proportion of them are likely to be appaloosas of one sort or another (they are all OOAK models so no two will be the same) but I will have a few solid colours glazed, especially on the bone chinas (palomino anyone?).

There was another clinky model arrival in 2014 which I didn't even know was happening!  Back in 2011, I visited San Diego, LA for the BOYCC event.  While I was there, my wonderful hostess Joanie asked to buy the ceramic rights to a medallion I'd sculpted. I was very flattered but thought she was being kind and finding a way to give me some spending money, but in the Autumn of 2014 a photo appeared on her Facebook page:


"Hang on a minute!" I thought, that looks a lot like an Inferno...in bisque china!!  Joanie was producing the china edition! :)  She was casting out a small number of copies to offer as prizes for the Clinky Classic show.  This is awesome on so many levels and I was absolutely thrilled to see my work in her hands, being expertly recreated in earthenware china.  Here's a few more pics of the awards including the one of the gorgeous fiery chestnut custom glazed copies:






So, 2014 was a pretty awesome year for china models as fas Kelly's Studio was concerned.  I have no doubt that 2015 is going to be a most excellent year in the respect, too!

Thank you so much or sharing my journey through the last twelve months, I've had almost as much fun writing about them as I did living them!  This really is an incredible hobby/business to be in!

More tomorrow, bye for now!

No comments: