About Me

My photo
Based in Northampton, UK, I live with my husband Adam, our Cocker Spaniel Bruno and Deeley the Bengal cat. I work full time as a Creative Artist / 3D Designer and part-time with my creative endeavours. I hope you'll enjoy reading about my work and other random ramblings, from the satisfying successes to the catastrophic failures! Still, it's all good fun, which is kind of the whole point really...

Friday 24 October 2008

...Fun Frodo, continued...

  • Continued from my previous post; this is the "shrinky" cast of Frodo, next to a full sized copy. As you can see it's about half the size, which not only adds to the "aah" factor, but also means I can afford to use the more expensive (and exciting) materials when I come to make copies.
  • I actually made this copy back in July, but it's been on hold for a while, just in case you remember it from my July postings.

  • This is NOT the final prototype for the little run of models I wanted to make; I wanted to remove the border, shave down the background part at the top to re-centre the sculpture, and there were a miliion teeny tiny pinholes (50% of the size they were when it cast, so even more fiddly!) that needed sorting out.

  • As this copy was made from the special resin, it was rubbery and flexible, which is no good for making these changes on. So I made a mold of this, and took a normal resin copy to work on.
  • After doing as much as I felt necessary, I took a mold from my new prototype and the made the first finished copy....
  • ...so I thought! The photo below shows this first copy, it's a brass head on a slate background, and has been treated on the mane, eye and nostrils with chemicals to darken them. As you can see this copy if far from perfect - there are an uncomfortable number of pinholes still there, and the background isn't as smooth as I'd hoped.
  • I still felt this model was pretty cute, and was very pleased with the effect hat the chemicals had on the brass - I've had mixed results using chemicals like this so this model was a good learning experience, and made a pretty little gift to a little girl I know who likes ponies!

  • So finally, after taking ANOTHER cast from the new mold; filling in many many pinholes and making a couple of adjustments, I had a second Prototype, which I'm happy to say was much more successful, it is the white model pictured below.

  • I had to be a bit more clever than usual when I made this prototype - now that I have my great new vaccum casting machine I have to bear in mind that during the vacuum process the poured resin expands as the air inside it is expelled. This has lead to a few messy encounters and I was keen to avoid these with this little guy!
  • As you can see, although the background to the model is actually only about 5mm thick if that, I built up the base using clay and Lego (Lego is a handy thing to have around during mold-making, I've discovered!) to give a deeper mold and allow any expansion of resin without spillage.
  • This copy looks quite dirty as there was some slate residue left in the mold from the first cast; not very good practice on my part to be honest, oops!

  • So, with the new prototype I was ready to make a (third and final) mold, ready to make lots of funky little colourful copies!

Wanna see the results? Here they are!

No comments: