About Me

My photo
Based in Northampton, UK, I live with my husband Adam, our Cocker Spaniel Bruno and Deeley the Bengal cat. I work full time as a Creative Artist / 3D Designer and part-time with my creative endeavours. I hope you'll enjoy reading about my work and other random ramblings, from the satisfying successes to the catastrophic failures! Still, it's all good fun, which is kind of the whole point really...

Wednesday 13 June 2012

Jubilee Side Saddle

As I’m sure you know, the 2nd-5th June was the Royal Jubilee Holiday Weekend here in the UK.  We enjoyed a wonderful four-day weekend of stunning celebrations and parties to mark the 60 years Her Majesty the Queen has reigned.

Little signs of this popped up everywhere, from bunting to bridal shops – the red, white and blue theme could be seen!

You might need to click the photo below to see the lovely dresses more clearly, but that’s not what I was actually trying to capture in this photo.  If you look at the white dress furthest to the right, you might just spot a little bit of bling that caught my curiosity and has had me wanting to go back and take more photos ever since I saw it there on the 2nd June:

DSC06777

This morning I did my regular drive to work passing this shop and did my regular rubber-necking in the window and made a mental note to pop in the shop at lunchtime and ask if they would mind me taking photo of this intriguing object.  At lunchtime I hurried home to walk Bruno (the dog) and dashed back to the shop, only to find the window display empty of this treasure!!  I decided to go in regardless and ask if they might mind my taking a look, if they still had it.

So, what was this item?……

DSC07028

It’s an uber-blingy Swarovski-encrusted full-size side saddle!

Isn’t it fabulous!  I don’t know the full history of it’s creation but in the brief conversation I had with the lovely ladies at Stunning Bridal here in Northampton (UK) I discovered it had been created as part of a challenge held by Swarovski crystals to make something as a tribute to the Jubilee using their product.  I think they said it had 10 (or maybe 30?) THOUSAND crystals, each one hand applied with hot glue over the course of several weeks until this incredible design was complete.  It even has a sparkly buckle on the stirrup!

The saddle will now be sent to be displayed in Harrogate for a while and then it is set to be auctioned off for charity later on in the year, possibly somewhere near Essex but I’ll try to get details closer to the time.  The saddle itself is, I believe, a standard side saddle that was used as it is no longer serviceable.  I would LOVE to see this design recreated by one of our hobby’s talented miniature tack-makers.

Enough talk – here are all the photos I took, I wish I had taken more but hopefully there are enough here to show the design off fully:

DSC07029DSC07030DSC07031DSC07032

DSC07027

…and here is the magazine feature:

DSC07023DSC07024

It’s amazing where inspiration can come from – I do love driving by the bridal shop to see the lovely dresses each day, but I never thought my daily commute would become linked with the hobby!

5 comments:

gail berg said...

Amazing. Watched a few of the Jubilee events here in US. Always like to see good patriotic pride, regardless of where.

Four Corners Tack said...

I'll see what I can do Kelly! Might not be actual crystals though...

I love the way the union jack is off-set. What a fun piece!

Kelly's Studio said...

I do love the Union Flag, from a Graphic Design point of view just as much as a patriotic one. I've always been drawn to anything with the image on.
Lauren - I've been wondering how someone might make this in miniature, perhaps using a shimmery fabric to give the appearance of the crystals, and gold paint to draw the crest on there?

Daphne said...

That is so cool! But I don't think it would be very comfortable to sit on, haha. :)

Daphne

sidesaddlegirl said...

Thanks for taking photos of this lovely saddle! I've put a link to your posting on my Side Saddle Girl blog :)