About Me

My photo
Based in Northampton, UK, I live with my husband Adam, our Cocker Spaniel Bruno and Deeley the Bengal cat. I work full time as a Creative Artist / 3D Designer and part-time with my creative endeavours. I hope you'll enjoy reading about my work and other random ramblings, from the satisfying successes to the catastrophic failures! Still, it's all good fun, which is kind of the whole point really...

Monday 11 June 2012

New tools…

I’ve been spending this week.  Well, not much but a few new bits to add to my rather full and varied arsenal of tools.

First up – Apoxie Sculpt in Super-White:

DSC06807

I use Apoxie Sculpt, Apoxie Clay and FIX-IT (all made by Aves) for lots of projects in my studio; I sculpt with Apoxie Sculpt in neutral or silver, or Apoxie Clay and I repair any dings or bubbles in resins that I am going to issue with FIX-IT, and now Apoxie Sculpt in Super White.

The reason I bought the Super-White* is that, when preparing a “clean” cast of any of my models, when I fill those inevitable little bubbles and seams, I always feel I’m offering a less-than-perfect casting and feel a little pang of guilt.  Even though the finished article is the same, if not better than a cast without any issues, I’m just not happy about posting out a model with a little circle showing up in a different colour to the resin!  So, the super-white should save this by allowing me to almost-invisibly make these final fixes!

The next item I feel I MUST tell you about is this – now, I’m sure you’re all pretty familiar with these:

DSC07166

Apart from Bruno the dog and the random wood pieces, those are Royal Sovereign Clay Shapers (I can’t find the website for the manufacturer so have added a UK sales site link, but search on Google and you’ll find them easily enough).  As you can see in the photo, whilst Adam was doing some work on the house, I asked him to cut the handles down for me (that sounds very old-fashioned – I would happily have cut them down myself, being a modern-day-capable woman, but he had the circular saw going and I’m just not going near that thing!!).  I find them much easier to use shortened down like this as I can get them into small areas, and tend to poke myself in the eyes less while using them!

Well my point here is NOT the tools above, it’s these ones:

eBay Link to Kid’s Colour Shapers

DSC06977

Made by the same company and at less than a quarter of the price for the equivalent “grown up” set, these arrived this morning and they’re perfect!  I get through these tools and find I need to keep buying them, so this is a pretty monumental find for me!

These are the grey “Colour Shapers” - as far as I can tell the Kid’s tools only come in the grey “firm” grade and sizes 6 and 10 (the most commonly used, I find), but their short handles (with rounded tips in case of people like me hell bent on poking their eyes out with sculpting tools!) and colour coded-handles are absolutely great for quick tool-finding. I can thoroughly recommend these tools for any sculptor and the price can’t be argued in my opinion!

No comments: