About Me

My photo
Based in Northampton, UK, I live with my husband Adam, our Cocker Spaniel Bruno and Deeley the Bengal cat. I work full time as a Creative Artist / 3D Designer and part-time with my creative endeavours. I hope you'll enjoy reading about my work and other random ramblings, from the satisfying successes to the catastrophic failures! Still, it's all good fun, which is kind of the whole point really...

Monday 17 November 2008

Pastels, pets, portraits

  • I've been delighted recently, to receive a few commissions for pet portraits; two of which came directly from this blog! It's given my confidence a huge boost :o)
  • This Portrait, however, came from family. Adam's little brother's girlfriend (keeping up?), Sarah, asked me a few weeks ago if I would consider drawing a portrait of her friend's dog, called Flint. Sadly Flint passed away (at a ripe old age) and Sarah felt that a portrait of him would be a nice gift for his owner. Sarah presented me with a small, dogeared photograph that she had "borrowed" from her friend's house; I had to scan it and get it back to her asap so she could smuggle it back in, hehe!
  • Now, firstly I'll point out that I don't know Sarah's friend and she doesn't know me (other than a passing face at the family BBQs), so I feel happy that I can blog about this without her finding out.
  • Secondly, I have to comment on how lovely this dog is - as soon as I saw the picture of him I was in love. He's a German Shepherd dog (I believe) but is a gorgeous golden colour. The colours in his coat, and the lovely way his fur flows meant this was a fantastic portrait to take on, especially as I'm still finding my way in this field.
  • And thirdly, I have to express my complete surprise at how this small 5"x3" photo, taken a number of years ago (when Flint was in his prime) and in a rather sorry state, enlarged - I was amazed with how much detail was in that tiny photograph! I scanned it in at 1200dpi and have enlarged it to A3 (16"x11" I think) with virtually no quality loss! I've no idea what kind of megapixel digital camera would be required to reproduce such detail!

And this is the same scan at after I was done fixing it up. I'm easily distracted and was finding the scuffs getting in the way of my "seeing" the dog, so I patched it up - which has quite conveniently made for another gift for Sarah's friend should she like to have a larger copy of her photo. Again, this image was reduced in size to blog, but I think you can get the idea.

As I've managed to get this far without actually sharing in-progress photos, here are two; this one was from last week. I have "discovered" pastels with this portrait - after the recent drawing I did of the Border Collie using normal pencil crayons on a dark packground, I was quite wary of "losing" the portrait. I don't know how to explain this, but if you compare pencil crayon drawings with pastel ones, especially on darker paper, the pastel ones seem to "glow" somehow. This in mind, I chose to try pastels for this portrait and at least block in the colour using them.

I was really pleased with the results using the pastels, and after having a few hours over the weekend and today's lunchbreak at work (have I mentioned how lovely my boss is...?) to spend working on the drawing; here's the results at this point.
I think I will be returning to the normal pencil crayons soon with this one; I just can't get the fine detail that I'm so obsessed with (hey, I'm a Virgo, what can I do??) using pastels alone. So, in true experimental fashion I'll be giving the pencil crayons a go, in the hope that this lovely "glow" I've managed to stumble on using the pastels will remain, whilst still allowing me to add in the fine details that I love. I'm mildly concerned that I may overwork this portrait, but I won't know unless I try, and the pad i'm using has 24 sheets in it, so if I truly stuff it up, I can happily re-do it. I have until Christmas, that's ages, right?...
I just have to add in this photo, of Deeley (the "other" cat) helping me! I think perhaps she'd prefer it if I kept to drawing cats!! Or maybe she's just reminding me that I've not done HER portrait yet, hehe!

1 comment:

Josie said...

Beautiful dog! But I'm always a sucker for GS and GS mixes.

You're doing a great job on the portrait so far! If I didn't already have portraits drawn of my girls, I'd be headed your way as well!