About Me

My photo
Based in Northampton, UK, I live with my husband Adam, our Cocker Spaniel Bruno and Deeley the Bengal cat. I work full time as a Creative Artist / 3D Designer and part-time with my creative endeavours. I hope you'll enjoy reading about my work and other random ramblings, from the satisfying successes to the catastrophic failures! Still, it's all good fun, which is kind of the whole point really...

Friday 2 March 2012

A Little Herd…

Progress is being made on the little broodmare model, she has gone from this…

DSC01213

…to this…

DSC04053

…to this…

DSC04208

…to this:

DSC04219

A couple of things are still bugging me – the angle of the lower part of the n/s rear leg – I think I may have to detach/reattach it before trying to rework the muscles there.  The neck, too, whilst having the muscles mapped out, I’m unhappy with the underside of it, it’s too curved so I’ll be working to straighten that out a tad.  All of the pasterns will need reworking as the angles (and lengths) are out now and of course, I will be addressing the new angle of the shoulders and hips and reworking her face too.

I found a beautiful photo online of a broodmare with a gorgeous long, full tail like this.  It spoke to me that the mare, whilst “only” being a broodmare, was still well-cared for and groomed regularly.  It also opens the scope for breed assignment and adds a little more variation between the two mare models.  I’m not decided on her mane just yet, I need to remove the current forelock and finish up the neck before tackling that. I’m toying with the idea of adding a halter/headcollar to her, I probably won’t go with that but it might be an option for one of the molds, perhaps.

I am always keen to portray horses that are satisfied, responsibly bred and managed, that are healthy and happy (perhaps with the exception of Inferno, who is just plain angry!), this is something that weighs quite heavily on my mind especially when I am researching for inspiration on my models, when the stories and images pop up that I really wish I didn’t have to see.  I have also found some wonderful stories that reassure me the world is actually a pretty good place for most, I hope I can reflect his in my model, even with my comparatively modest sculpting experience.

DSC04222

2 comments:

Four Corners Tack said...

She's coming along great Kelly! I'm looking forward to adding her to my Savage herd! They're all quite sweet in reality!

Kelly's Studio said...

Aww, thanks Lauren! I saw your chestnut Babysitter on a website somewhere, she's beautiful! The broodmare will be making a pre-completion debut at the show in Macclesfield this weekend :)