About Me

My photo
Based in Northampton, UK, I live with my husband Adam, our Cocker Spaniel Bruno and Deeley the Bengal cat. I work full time as a Creative Artist / 3D Designer and part-time with my creative endeavours. I hope you'll enjoy reading about my work and other random ramblings, from the satisfying successes to the catastrophic failures! Still, it's all good fun, which is kind of the whole point really...

Friday 30 March 2012

Competition Time!!!

Ok peeps – she’s just about, almost, nearly, 99%, so-close-to-being-finished-I-can-taste-it, just-about done, so as promised I’m holding a naming competition to find her a name.  The winner will receive a free copy of the broodmare complete with a Very Little One to go with her.

DSC05211

As you can see she is a little “patchy” from all the resculpting, as soon as I have a nice solid coloured resin copy I will share more pics so I’m jumping the gun just a smidge here, but I so wanted to share her with you and it’s been a little while since I blogged, so I’m just diving in and showing her off now!

Here’s where she’s come from…

She is a remake from this model; The Babysitter…

P1010527

…to this model; The Broodmare:

DSC05207

As you can see she’s had quite the transformation, just about every part has been reworked, from her nose to her toes she is all new.  She has put on a few lbs as happens normally with broodmares, she’s not too overly rotund though, as she might still be preggas or may have had her foal already – that’s for you to choose so I’ve tried to make her fit either scenario.  I’ve also changed her “do” to a more pampered style, she now sports a neatly trimmed mane and tail.

More photos of her, showing her progress with some added info on her transformation from the The Babysitter to Broodmare is in My Picasa Photos


Gift with a bow  !!COMPETITION!!  Gift with a bow


This little lady now needs a fitting name.  I’m after a name that will work with the other models I’ve made – I tend not to name models after real horses but more for the feeling behind their inspiration (at the risk of sounding rather sentimental and artistic), so if you make a suggestion perhaps you could add a little note about how you came to that idea.  I won’t ignore names without any back-story of course Smile

To enter this competition, do one of the following:

  • ADD A COMMENT in the comments section below – if you get this blog by email you’ll need to click the title at the top to get to this post on the web - be sure to include some sort of contact info, either use your Google ID or mention your preferred forum and username so I can trace you if you win – NO POSTAL ADDRESSES or EMAIL ADDRESSES, PHONE NUMBERS etc. in the comments section please, this is a public web page and the spammers might see!
  • SEND ME AN EMAIL – go to this page and fill out the form.
  • COMMENT ON MY FACEBOOK POST – Go to this page and post a comment on the Competition post – anywhere else and I might not find it – I’ve clearly marked the post that needs to be commented on.

If you have my email address through previous dealings with me, feel free to drop me a line and enter this competition that way.  I haven’t changed my email address for years so the one you have should work just fine.

The deadline to enter is one week from now, terms and conditions do apply, contact me for more info.  One name suggestion is one entry, you may post as many suggestions as you like but please limit it to less than, say,a dozen or so, just so I have a manageable amount to work through once the deadline is here.  The winning entry will be chosen by me and will be the name that I feel most suits this model.  The winner will be announced as soon as possible after the deadline.  The prize will ship once cast, I can’t give an exact date on this yet as I’m not sure whether I will cast her myself or employ a casting company to do this.

Ok, I’ll stop waffling on and get this posted – I’m looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

17 comments:

Clare said...

She looks beautiful, Kelly. :D

At my old yard there was a beautiful fleabitten grey broodmare called Fan, I almost got the opportunity to ride her and I 'looked' after her for a bit, but just grooming for a few weeks. This model really reminds me of the mare I am thinking of so I want to put forward that name... But maybe to fit in with the theme 'Mother Fan' or just Fan on its own. That is my suggestion!

Anonymous said...

I took one look at your mare and as i know you too the name BLISS just came into my head lol....and i got to thinking it was an apt name as if im right in thinking your lifefor you is just bliss right now ;0)
Mitchx

Mackenzie said...

She looks so sweet and gentle the name Genevieve comes to mind. Continuing along the French theme, I thought perhaps Belle Mere, which is French for Beautiful Mother, you could also write it as Belle Mare, since it would be pronounced the same way for either spelling and could be a fun play on words! So those are the two ides I came up with:

-Genevieve
-Belle Mere/Mare

Whatever yo end up naming her, she is an awesome sculpture!

Holly Lenz said...

Breezy

Breezy was a big stocky Thoroughbred mare who had been a nice steady riding horse till a leg injury made her a pasture ornament. She was best friends with my mare for years and I am sure my mare misses her now that she is gone. Breezy went before her time after she contracted EPM. Breezy never had any foals, but something about this horses look reminds me of her.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful mare! I LOVE her! My name idea is Caladia Matryoshka. Or just Caladia. When my friend and I were little we made up a horse breed of our own and one of the 'famous' mares was Caladia Matryoshka. I would LOVE it if my name idea was picked. (She would be my first resin!) I hope you like my idea!
--Mya at Equine Indulgence Studios

Lynn W said...

I like Caress or Caressa. She looks like she would love to snuggle her Very Little One if only she could!

Donna L "Sunshine" said...

Isabeau comes to mind for me - I keep thinking of the woman in Ladyhawke who transformed from a human to a hawk with the rise of the sun while her lover became a wolf by night. And you have taken The Babysitter and really transformed her into a piece that "flies"

Anonymous said...

There isn't really a story behind these, but I suggest Matrona or Big Mama. They keep up the family trend of the names of the others in this "set" so far :)
carla of River Shadows Customs www.rivershadowscustoms.com

Daphne said...

Guardian Angel; she looks like a caring mom but also a protective one! I can just see her standing above her foal and guarding it. You could also name her The Guardian (Angel), I think she would look after any foal. :)

TiMe said...

I suggest My Little Momma/Mommy to go with the names of Very Little One and The Babysitter :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to include a way to find me. I'm on model horse sales pages, just search Mya Lehto. Sorry if that messed you up! LOL

-Mya at Equine Indulgence Studios

Leah said...

The first name that came to mind, both as a name and a description, was Felicity.

Another idea, in various forms, is Alma or Alma Mater or Alma Lee. Alma Mater means Nourishing Mother, and Alma Lee sounds matronly and was the dam of the famous Standardbred mare Rosalind. I like the idea that Very Little One will grow up to be a mighty champion.

My final idea is TLC, or spelled out Tee Elle Cee. She has such a tender and loving look, so it seemed to fit.

I love how you made her fit with Very Little One and the Babysitter. What a lovely set!

Martha Bechtel said...

I've been puttering around trying to think of something good, but she looks so concerned all I can come up with is: Worrystone and "You ate what?!?" … *sighs*

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly
The first name that came to my mind was 'Rock-a-bye' or 'Hush-a-bye'.
It just sounded like a 'real' race horse name and also fit with the whole mum and baby theme.
Anne Healion

Anonymous said...

Galatic springs





My email is charley20102010@hotmail.co.uk or my facebook name is charley breyer horses

Anonymous said...

Hi there kelly! congrats on almost finishing your model! i think something along the lines of "Mother Knows" or "Hush Now" would fit, but dont listen to me, i have never been good with names!
Olivia
xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

‎**Freshly Baked Mom or First Time Mom/Mum: She looks a bit insecure, but is definitely showing tenderness and love for her foal, and since she still has a bit of a tummy we could assume the birth is recent. **Tender Curiosity: She looks curious, but very gentle and careful. **Precious as a Diamond: Her foal is everything to her, whether we consider it to be born or not, and it ties in with the Diamond Jubilee. I already entered on the Utterly Horses facebook page, but there was some confusion, so just to be sure. Rieke Fruengel